Pet Care

Caring responsibly for our animal friends will help ensure we can share a loving relationship for many years! 

Pet Proof the Holidays

Holidays and celebrations around the year provide excitement and fun, but  many festivities may also pose a danger to your pet. Be sure to take the following steps to keep your pet safe and comfortable during these times.  Here are some general tips to ensure your pet's safety during holiday festivities and celebrations:

  • Choose and display seasonal plants and decorations carefully. Many items pose a physical danger to pets.
  • Be mindful that extra household activity many cause considerable stress for your pet. Some pets may try to escape as family and friends enter and leave your home, or react with other unacceptable behaviors.
  • Provide your pet a safe, comfortable room or space to retreat to if they feel stressed by the extra activities. Spend quiet time with your pet to help them feel relaxed.
  • Request visiting family and friends to be conscious of your pet’s temperament and safety when interacting with the animal. Be sure guests stowaway medications and refrain from feeding your cat or dog human foods.
  • Request parental assistance and be especially aware of how children are interacting with your pet-a well meaning treat could result in an emergency trip to your veterinarian.
  • Keep your veterinarian’s contact information readily available and find out what the clinic’s holiday hours are in advance of the holiday.
  • Maintain your pet’s daily routine as much as possible.

Potentially hazardous decorations to watch out for during the holidays and celebrations:

  • Electric cords - avoid pet exposure to electric cords. If they were chewed, they could electrocute your pet. Cover up or hide electric cords, and never let your pet chew on them.
  • Ribbons, tinsel, and fake basket grass - once ingested these can get caught in the intestines and cause intestinal obstruction.
  • Batteries - contain corrosives. If ingested they can cause ulceration to the mouth, tongue, and the rest of the gastrointestinal tract.
  • Glass ornaments - can cut the tissues of the gastro-intestinal tract if ingested.
  • Plastic decorations such as Easter eggs - can cut the tissues of the gastro-intestinal tract if ingested.
  • Christmas tree water - may contain fertilizers, which, if ingested, can cause stomach upset. Stagnant tree water can be breeding grounds for bacteria, that can also lead to vomiting, nausea, and diarrhea.
  • Fireworks - unlit ones may be poisonous, while lit fireworks are dangerous if near pets and may cause fear/terror reactions; be sure to take precautions to ensure your pet is secure, safe and comfortable wherever fireworks may be included in holiday festivities.
Success Stories
Success Stories from Oak Hill Animal Rescue
  • Click here for Stella's staycation storyRead more
Follow us on Facebook
PetPoint Search