Common Pet Poisons

 
"Pet Proof" your home and yard against these common pet poisons.*

  • Foods
    Alcoholic beverages
    Chocolate (baker's, semi-sweet, milk chocolate)
    Coffee (grounds, beans, chocolate covered espresso beans)
    Moldy or spoiled foods
    Onions, onion powder
    Salt
    Yeast dough
    Grapes and Raisins: According to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, grapes and raisins are dangerous for dogs.

 Household Items and Plants 

                                                                          
Liquid Potpourris:
Cats are often exposed to liquid potpourri by direct ingestion from simmer pots or spills, or by rubbing against leaky bottles or simmer pots containing the potpourri, or from spilling the containers on themselves. Oral exposures result following grooming.  Exposure of cats to some types of liquid potpourris can result in severe mouth, skin, and eye damage. 

Medications:
Prescriptions and over-the-counter drugs must be kept out of the reach of your pets, preferably in closed cabinets.  Common examples of human medication that could be potentially lethal, even in small dosages, include:
      •Pain killers
      •Cold medicines
      •Anti-cancer drugs
      •Anti-depressants
      •Vitamins
      •Diet pills

During the holidays, many vet clinics have limited office hours.  Sometimes pet owners try to medicate their animals without their veterinarian's advice.  Never give your pet any medications without specific directions from a veterinarian.  Many medications that are used safely in humans can be deadly when used inappropriately.

Plants:
This list is a collection of common toxic plants.  It is NOT a list of ALL poisonous plants.  In some vegetation, only certain parts of the plants are toxic.  In others, all parts are poisonous.  If your pet ingests a toxic plant, do not delay in getting your pet to a veterinarian.

•Lilies such as Tiger, Asian, Japanese Show, Easter, Stargazer, and the Casa Blanca routinely found    in holiday flower arrangements cause kidney failure in cats.
•Mistletoe has the potential to cause cardiovascular problems, but usually only causes gastrointestinal upset.
•Holly ingestion causes vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, and lethargy.
•Other toxic plants include: dieffenbachia, ivy (all varieties), lilies of the valley, caladium, calla lilies, oleander,  primroses, philodendrons and rhododendrons.

Yard Chemicals                                                                                              
 
Anti-freeze:
Even in small amounts anti-freeze is very dangerous.  As little as one teaspoon of antifreeze can be deadly to a pet.  Thoroughly clean up any spills, store antifreeze in tightly closed containers and store in secure place.

 

Success Stories
Success Stories from Oak Hill Animal Rescue
  • Click here for Stella's staycation storyRead more
Follow us on Facebook
PetPoint Search